Fishing.heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing.heaven

A social network for like minded anglers, we can share our knowledge, share our fishing exploits and generally have a good social time, loosely focussed on fishing.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favourite type of river fishing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tinytiddler
tinytiddler

Female Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Favourite type of river fishing Empty
PostSubject: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:46 am

What is your favourite way of river fishing?......... I love trotting a float, trying to tempt all kinds of silver fish.
However, my best river fish ever was/is my very first barbel which I caught a weekend before close season started. A catch I will never forget and will stay in my mind for ever. A beautiful 12lb5oz barbel, which was a little bit too big for my 20 inch spoon landing net lol.

And to top the day off I even managed to catch my PB chub of 4lb4oz, I can honestly say it was my best day fishing so far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishing.heavenforum.com
pondlife
Regular
Regular
pondlife

Male Number of posts : 108

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 3:20 am

Well done TT, thats a barbel everyone dreams of catching. I haven't fished rivers for a number of years now, as i was brought up around a lot of rivers i have done my fair share and have grew out of that type of fishing, my biggest fish ever from a river was an 18lb sea trout from the River Test, watched her all day under a bridge above a large pool and finally tempted the fish on a large prawn, i've caught many varieties of fish you would normally associate with rivers, but the barbel has always alluded me, one day if the opportunity arises i'll maybe have another go. As with you, trotting a float used to be the favorite way for me, but i did used to like freelining a bit of breadflake or luncheon meat (if i could pinch some off mum) down between the weed beds.
Back to top Go down
pondlife
Regular
Regular
pondlife

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 pm

When i was a youngun you didn't get pocket money, so you had to earn what pennies you could get, one way we used to earn a few bob was to catch fish and sell them to family, neighbours and fishmongers. Where i lived was surounded by rivers so it wasn't hard to catch fish, mainly game. They call it poaching these days, but we didn't know that then, so going out after school and using hand lines, something like what you'd use for crabs, we'd set off in search of our main quarry, mainly grayling, trout and salmon. Salmon was difficult as you had to try and pick a smallish one, otherwise two of you had to hang on to the line till the fish tired.
In those days salmon were plentiful and used to come up the rivers in their thousands so easy to get one, the salmon we caught ent to the fishmongers and would get 2/6 for them. The other fish that used to sell well was grayling, i won't tell you how we used to catch those, i would get a shilling for a good one, so was well pleased with that. Trout were more difficult to catch without out a rod but we used to get the odd one out of a brook near where i lived, a shilling for those too if they were big enough. We did get caught on 2 occassions and had our stuff confiscated but as kids it didn't sink in, it was a way of making a few shillings so we carried on. When i look back i can understand why we did it, but if we did the same today we'd have been locked up.
Back to top Go down
T-rouble
Regular
Regular

Male Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 pm

pondlife wrote:
When i was a youngun

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Back to top Go down
activecarper
Regular
Regular
activecarper

Female Number of posts : 236
Location : sitting comfortable, but I need to go fishing instead!!

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:02 pm

pmsl tr... laugh
Back to top Go down
T-rouble
Regular
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 pm

River fishing is something I haven't done but am looking forward to my fist time.
Back to top Go down
pondlife
Regular
Regular
pondlife

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Whats so funny, ass i was a youngun a long long long long long long long loooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. laugh
Back to top Go down
T-rouble
Regular
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:07 pm

You saud it mate....not me tease
Back to top Go down
activecarper
Regular
Regular
activecarper

Female Number of posts : 236
Location : sitting comfortable, but I need to go fishing instead!!

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 pm

hee hee pl, you left out VERY Laughing
Back to top Go down
BoldBear

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 3:46 pm

My favourite way of fishing small rivers is long-trotting a small Avon or stick float using a centrepin for Barbel & Chub or quality Roach.

Although most of the time I'm rolling meat or trundling baits for Barbel because in the summer I only seem to fish in the evenings when the light starts to fade and its too dark to long-trot.

But in the Autumn and Winter I will do much more long-trotting with the pin.

What a smashing Beard that was TT what a weight for a first Barbel (12lb 5oz) my first barbel was just a small 5lb 8oz one caught in 1975 but I still remember it as though it were yesterday.

BB Favourite type of river fishing Leapingfish2
Back to top Go down
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.manger/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite type of river fishing   Favourite type of river fishing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite type of river fishing
Page 1 of 1