Fishing.heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing.heaven

A social network for like minded anglers, we can share our knowledge, share our fishing exploits and generally have a good social time, loosely focussed on fishing.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Trip of the year for me.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-06-25

First Trip of the year for me. Empty
PostSubject: First Trip of the year for me.   First Trip of the year for me. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 5:56 am

First trip this year

Well snow has gone ( nearly ) and I was feeling fit enough to attempt a small fishing trip, I realised that I had not wet a line for nearly 3 months, seems that too many other things had got in the way.

So we had a late start, knowing it was a frosty night I did not feel the need to get there at daft o'clock, and we set off to the local canal to hunt some tiddlers for points.

We arrived at about 10 am and found the canal still a sheet of ice, the hills near by still had snow on them and the towpath was still icy.

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00576

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00577

Here you can still see the ice on the water

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00578

I was fishing a simple float set up, Claudia had decided on pole fishing.

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00477

We got to some swims, the ice was jut thawing in patches, so Claudia set up by an open bit, I was walking on further when I noticed an ice breaker coming. A barge went by and opened up a nice swim for me. Having thanked the Bargee ( or is that bahji ? ), i flicked a few maggots in and set up my rod.

This was fingers and thumbs time for me, 3 months away and I was struggling tying the knots!!! but soon I was ready, did my first exploratory cast for depth near a tree and caught....................... a branch!!! Re tie all the rig, untangle everything and try again ( thought this was supposed to be fun and relaxing! ).

Finally got fishing, and there was a big fat nothing happening. It took nearly an hour before I found a pocket of small roach hiding near a tree. Managed a few little ones before it went dead again.

I had a brief break from the float and put out a small maggot feeder on a very light quivertip, this is not a technique that works very well on the canal normally, but as it was almost windless I could try it. I noticed some very tiny little twitches and struck into one, yes the roach were still there, but the bites, like on the float were oh so fine.

That was it really, I had half a dozen small roach, here are a couple

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00580

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00579

Claudia had a slow day too, did not start getting bites until about 2-30, but ended up with this little net full

First Trip of the year for me. DSC00478

Well at least we got out, and we both got some points for the species hunt

I had roach, she had roach and a silver bream.
Back to top Go down
http://fishing.heavenforum.com
claire_s_p
claire_s_p

Female Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-07-07

First Trip of the year for me. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Trip of the year for me.   First Trip of the year for me. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 7:24 am

Nice to see some of us are getting out there Smile and well done on catching a few

I really must try and get out myself this week as it is half term and I will have my little helper with me.

Well I say little he's 13 6'2" with size 13 feet but will always be my little boy LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.reels-on-wheels.org

First Trip of the year for me.
Page 1 of 1