Fishing.heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing.heaven

A social network for like minded anglers, we can share our knowledge, share our fishing exploits and generally have a good social time, loosely focussed on fishing.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Abbotsbury september 2008

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Abbotsbury september 2008 Empty
PostSubject: Abbotsbury september 2008   Abbotsbury september 2008 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:34 am

A little works outing to Abbotsbury

Friday arrived and it was fishing time. One of the guys at work had arranged a little social match at Abbotsbury 8pm til 1am.

So after a days work, I was met at 4-15 by Claudia and we headed off to the tackle shop, I got some rag, frozen sandeel and party squid, took 5 minutes, the other 45 minutes we spent there were taken up with a certain lady haggling with the shop keeper over some bit of bling she wanted. I will let her tell you about that!

A quick stop at the local supermarket and then an hours drive to Abbotsbury from Poole. Using old fashioned navigation methods ( my map, not a Prat Nav ) and my memory ( "I went there once, I am sure I'll remember the way"), we had a small detour via the swannery ( got lost there the last time LOL!). we eventually hit the carpark about 7pm.

We had a quick look at the Tinsel tossers vainly trying for mackerel, then met up with the others in the carpark as they arrived.

As dusk arrived the mackerel fishermen were leaving, so we set up right at the carkpark path, some of the guys went a bit to the right.

As soon as I set up and cast out a simple 2 hook flapper ( or is it a 1 up, 1down??) with rag baits, I saw twitches and bounces on the rod and got my first fish,

Abbotsbury september 2008 DSC00455

the illustrious pout ( or is it poor cod??)

and so the evening went on, I was getting poor cod and pout ( little eyes and big eyes, so I know they are different) almost one a chuck, I had a couple of Double headers, these little blighters were feeding continuously all night.

here is the largest I managed

Abbotsbury september 2008 DSC00457

I did manage a first

Abbotsbury september 2008 DSC00458

had 3 off these slippery things during the evening

About 3 am ( Yes Claudia and I decided to stick it out until high tide at 5 am) it had gone quiet, a small trawler was running up and down the beach, got to about 500 yards off shore at one point, and I started getting rapid twitchy bites, would connect with something and then it was off, had me puzzled but soon Claudia caught one and answered what it was. Shocked me as I had never seen one caught at night, but I will let her tell that story!!

Finally left at 5-30, and drove the 70 miles home in the fog.

The match went well, all but one guy all caught , mainly pout and poor cod. There was one 6 1/2 lb cod caught, on crab at a long cast.

Was a great night to be out and makes a change for me to do some salt water fishing again.
Back to top Go down
http://fishing.heavenforum.com

Abbotsbury september 2008
Page 1 of 1