Fishing.heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing.heaven

A social network for like minded anglers, we can share our knowledge, share our fishing exploits and generally have a good social time, loosely focussed on fishing.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Amesbury Anglers

Go down 
+3
tinytiddler
activecarper
Admin
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
activecarper
Regular
Regular
activecarper

Female Number of posts : 236
Location : sitting comfortable, but I need to go fishing instead!!
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amesbury Anglers   Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:44 pm

well, I can't believe it went so well for you both, what a brilliant days fishing, its always nice to have a few fiesty ones... weldone on your catch.. fsh2
Back to top Go down
T-rouble
Regular
Regular

Male Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Amesbury Anglers   Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Well done mate ci
Back to top Go down
pondlife
Regular
Regular
pondlife

Male Number of posts : 108

PostSubject: Re: Amesbury Anglers   Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Well done you two, reminds me of a place i used to fish, carp a chuck, non stop and way too easy, fished it a couple of seasons then stopped, i must have had most of the fish in there i think.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: A days roaching at Britford   Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 3:13 pm

After a week sat behind buzzers in france I decided I would try my hand at a bit of trotting on a river, not something I do very often as I am a bit lazy and end up feeder fishing. So with low wind and fine weather I decided to hunt some roach at my local river, the Hampshire avon.

I finally got to Britford at about lunchtime, the weather was still bright and clear, and the promised cloud did not show.

I walked up to the Salisbury end of the fishery and fished the old river that runs parallel to the main river that runs by the park.

The swim had large chub in it, they were visible in the gin clear water, I set up quietly away from the swim and as I approached and scattered a few freebie maggots into the swim they departed. I proceeded to run a stickfloat with shirt button shot and a size 20 hook down the swim, soon I was hitting small dace, minnows by the score and the odd small chublet, every so often the fish would scatter, and whilst retrieving one small dace the water boiled next to it and I felt a tug on the line that put a full bend in the rod, yes I had a pike in the swim.

I balled some bread into the area near the pike and stopped for a smoke, leaning against a tree to hide myself I watched as minnows swarmed onto the bread, and then , ever so cautiously a jack pike of about 2 lb moved forward next to the bank upstream of the bread, then gently eased himself into the flow and drifted slowly over the bread, giving sideways glances to the minnows. It was fun to watch this hunting behaviour, he never made a lunge but hovered near the bread waiting for a fish of the right size to appear.

Smoke over, I decided to fish the main river, this was alot wider and weedier. I stuck with the stickfloat as I was beginning to get the hang of it now. I trickled in maggots, bread crumb and casters whilst trotting maggot over the top. Here again I was swamped with minnows, but did get some decent dace around the 6oz mark, some small chublets and at last my target species roach, small but perfectly formed!!

Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 DSC00452

whilst in this swim I noticed a larger trout appear and start feeding, I stood in the swim whilst retrieving fish and it remained, totally unfazed by my skylining, it would take maggots and casters but refused to touch my hookbaits. I tried and tried, still catching roach, dace chublets and minnows but this trout was mocking me by taking freebies but ignoring the hook. After an hour of abject frustration I snagged in some weed and when the line twanged out it knotted totally, so I cut the tangle off and tried a small maggot feeder for a rest.

First cast in and the mocking trout's eyes being bigger than its brain, took the bait before the feeder had settled, oh did I laugh, nearly did a little happy dance, I had hooked the smart a*** little blighter! Now the fun began, I had size 20 hook, 1.5lb hooklink, and 4 lb mainline, on a tiny little match rod, the thing was bent double and the clutch was spinning as he darted away, I finally landed him and got this photo

Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 DSC00453

weighed in at 2lb exactly, and he does not look so smug in my net does he!

Well the swim was well and truly trashed now so I moved on. I continued fishing stickfloat and tried 4 more swims on route to the van. I had loads of good dace, small chub and a million minnows, i did manage some more roach in the last swim of the day, but sizes were low, this being the biggest

Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 DSC00454

As the sun set I packed up and headed to the supermarket in Salisbury to get a nice piece of beef and some yorkshire puds for my sunday dinner, to round off a nice weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://fishing.heavenforum.com
activecarper
Regular
Regular
activecarper

Female Number of posts : 236
Location : sitting comfortable, but I need to go fishing instead!!

PostSubject: Re: Amesbury Anglers   Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:46 am

nice bit of fishing mike, glad you had a good session.. clap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amesbury Anglers   Amesbury Anglers - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amesbury Anglers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2