Fishing.heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing.heaven

A social network for like minded anglers, we can share our knowledge, share our fishing exploits and generally have a good social time, loosely focussed on fishing.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Taking the Pin for a Spin

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Taking the Pin for a Spin Empty
PostSubject: Taking the Pin for a Spin   Taking the Pin for a Spin Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 3:02 pm

I treated myself to some toys this month, I got myself a Shimano Hyperloop fast action 13ft match rod, and a very cheap (£9.99) Shadowlanda Centrepin reel.

The reel is a press steel body but has a very nice bearing in it, heard very little about it, but for a tenner I thought I would give it a try.

I have never fished a "pin" before so today was a bit of a training day. I did not realise what a pain they are to cast! after about 10 attempts I managed to get the float roughly where I wanted it without snarling the line up, I had watched a short video on youtube showing the Wallis cast, I did my own version of it and it seems to work.

I found the reel worked very well, the river was moving reasonably fast and the reel responded well to the flow. I continued casting and practising in what I knew was a poorly populated swim, I did not want to hit anything too big until I had got used to the setup. After about an hour of repeated trial casts I finally got a tug on the float, and fumbled the strike and lost it!

Still on the learning curve!

about 15 minutes later I connected with a small chub and landed it. That was the rod and reel christened, and my centrepin Cherry popped!

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00465

I stayed in this swim for another hour and a half and continued to get small chub, my casting and playing was getting better so I decided that I could carry on and try some of the better swims.

My next stop was a swim with a fallen tree in it and a deep hole with slack water just behind it, I know that some good grayling hang around here usually so I fed the swim gently and plopped the float just in behind the tree, and straight away I was into grayling.

I had 7 out of this swim over a pound, the best being this one at 1lb 7oz

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00466

I also managed a reasonable perch

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00468

The bites seemed to dry up so I moved down a bit, here i kept getting small dace and chublets, and I had at least a dozen of these salmon parr

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00470

I was just about trotted out now so I moved down to my favourite chub swim and switched to a 16g feeder.

Here I kept getting small chub, good perch and the odd salmon parr. The swim kept getting invaded by swans, there was a family and a lone male that were arguing over territory, that just happened to be right in my swim.

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00471

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00474

I did get a couple of reasonable roach

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00472

I managed to hit something a bit larger, but it snagged me in the tree roots and I lost my only small feeder ( the rest were too heavy for the match rod), so I improvised. I went to a small hook and just used 4 AAA shot straight on the line and then catapulted maggots upstream of where I cast in.

This method worked almost immediately and I had 6 chub between 3 and 4 pounds

Taking the Pin for a Spin DSC00473

By now the light was fading and the swan were continually trashing my swim, so it was time to head off home.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing with a centrepin, they are hard work but it is fun playing fish in on them, I also enjoyed being on soft rods and light line (4 lb main and 2 to 1 1/2 lb hooklinks), made the playing a bit more of a challenge.

I will return and try and develop a bit more skill with the centrepin, not as easy as a fixed spool, but far better for trotting.
Back to top Go down
http://fishing.heavenforum.com
claire_s_p
claire_s_p

Female Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Taking the Pin for a Spin   Taking the Pin for a Spin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 6:21 am

Sounds like an amazing day was had there Smile

Well done on trying something new, it is always hard to do Smile

Some great fish as well, what a day Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.reels-on-wheels.org
activecarper
Regular
Regular
activecarper

Female Number of posts : 236
Location : sitting comfortable, but I need to go fishing instead!!
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Taking the Pin for a Spin   Taking the Pin for a Spin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 1:27 pm

very nice mike, some good shots there. brn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking the Pin for a Spin   Taking the Pin for a Spin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fishing.heaven :: Freshwater fishing :: Rivers and Canals-
Jump to: